Friday, November 14, 2008

Highlights from my Holiday Wish List

I’m supporting and contributing to Buy Books for the Holidays (see my latest post there about board books for babies and toddlers) and we were asked to link to our own wish lists. I use my default Amazon wish list to bookmark books and many won’t be released by Christmas so I created a separate list here. So far, I was able to put 13 books on it. Here are a few highlights:

The Gum Thief by Douglas Coupland - I’ve read most of Coupland’s novels and his newest about two misfit Staples employees who write each other in diary entries but don’t acknowledge each other otherwise sounds great.

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks – I’ve seen great reviews of this novel, about a English village struck by plague, on several book blogs this year including this one from Lisa at Books on the Brain and this one from Jen at Devourer of Books.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows – I’ve seen blogger love for this all over – the peer pressure to read it is killing me ;)

The Explosionist by Jenny Davidson – Alternate history Scotland with mediums and murder? This was my first request of the Harperteen First Look program, but I didn’t get it. And I still want it. Khyrinthia's review at The Frenetic Reader makes me want it even more.


Ten Cents a Dance by Christine FletcherSteph of Reviewer X fame recommended this novel, about a girl in 1940s Chicago who takes up taxi dancing in order to support her family. Sounds awesome! Julie at Booking Mama (read her review here) certainly liked it a lot too.

Undercover by Beth Kephart – Liviania of In Bed with Books describes it (here) as a poetic slice of life story populated with characters she could see herself knowing. Carolina of Bookluver Carol says (here) it is “beautifully written and so descriptive that you can see the book in your head like a movie”. I NEED to read this one!
What books are on your holiday wish list?

23 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I hope Santa brings you Guernsey. It is so good.

Anna said...

Oooh! What a great list! I hope there's lots of great things under your tree!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Alea said...

I too have my eyes on The Gum Thief and Undercover!

Anna Claire said...

I'm totally stealing some of your wish list for my own!

Year of Wonders and The Explosionist look particularly good.

Beth Kephart said...

Well, jeepers, Lenore. I wish you lived somewhere on this side of the ocean and I could walk your way and hand you UNDERCOVER. A paperback is due out in May and I'm excited about it because it has a supplement that continues Elisa's story; maybe I can get both you and Alea copies!

In any case, the rest of your list looks terrific. I feel honored sharing the space.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Bermuda and Anna - Thanks. I hope my dad is reading this :)

Alea - Cool! Hope you get them.

AC - Go right ahead; I'm happy to help!

Beth - You are too sweet. Not sure where you live, but I will be in San Fran and Kansas during the holidays. Either of those within walking distance ;)

Alea said...

When Beth announced the release date of the paperback it went immediately onto my wishlist. I'm all about the paperbacks! Can't wait!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Alea - I know you love the paperbacks. I like to get them too, for weight reasons. Especially since the airlines have so drastically reduced free baggage allowance.

Alea said...

A few years ago I went to the airport with my fingers crossed i wouldn't be over the weight limit. I think I had a whole backpack stuffed with books as a carry on!

Lenore Appelhans said...

I do often end up with a lot of books in my carry on, but I still have to make sure it is not so heavy that I can still lift it to put it in the overhead bin.

Julie P. said...

Year of Wonders and Guernsey are fabulous too!

Ali said...

Several of those look like books I should read! The only one I've read (and reviewed, by the way) is Ten Cents a Dance. Thanks for sharing your list!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Undercover does sound great and I really want to read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society as well after seeing it on so many blogs.

I've read one or two books by Douglas Coupland...I think two though...and the Gum Thief sounds highly interesting!
I need to post my wishlist for Books for the Holidays too. I'll try and do that later!!

-Lauren

Andi said...

I loooved Year of Wonders. I read it several years ago, and it was in my top 10 list of favorites that year. It's one I would like to re-read, too.

I need to try Guernsey, but my library doesn't have it. Looks like I'll have to buy that one!

Linda said...

I never put books on my Christmas list because I can never wait...I either buy it or check it out from the library!

Alea said...

I just make an amazon wishlist and buy things off it for myself lol! Besides me, I have one friend that likes to make purchases off of it though for the holidays.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Linda - I made the holiday wish list specifically with the intention of NOT buying anything from it until after christmas. So if you know who drew my name....

Beth Kephart said...

Lenore... Not within walking distance, but within mailing distance...... Perhaps you can send me an address?

:)

(I have three, but three Nothing But Ghosts galleys sitting here, too)

Alea, paperback of UC comes out next May. Where in the world are you?

Alea said...

Beth- I added it to my wishlist right away when you announced it!

I live in the Midwest! :D

Bibliovore said...

Great wishlist, Lenore! Ten Cents a Dance is well worth the purchase, and I too want to read The Explosionist, just because I like things that go boom. I just got Undercover from my library, so it's sitting on my shelf, pining away for my attention.

Anonymous said...

I love love love love Year of Wonders - I mean, literally, it rocketed Geraldine Brooks up to the top of my favorite authors list, which is tough to do. And I so want The Explosionist - it's on my Christmas list, too!

Ladytink_534 said...

I want to read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and The Explosionist too.

Amber said...

The explosionist is really good - you can read my review at TeensReadToo here: www.teensreadtoo.com/TheExplosionist.html