Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Waiting On Wednesday (7) My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison

So I first saw this one over at The Story Siren's Books to Pine For. I am super excited about it because it incorporates two of my favorite things: fairy tales and time travel.

Here's the summary from the Bloomsbury Winter 2009 catalogue (it comes out January 2009):

After her boyfriend dumps her for her older sister, sophomore Savannah Delano wishes she could find a true prince to take her to the prom. Enter Chrissy (Chrysanthemum) Everstar: Savannah’s gum-chewing, cell phone–carrying, high heel-wearing Fair Godmother. Showing why she’s only Fair—because she’s not a very good fairy student—Chrissy mistakenly sends Savannah back in time to the Middle Ages, first as Cinderella, then as Snow White. Finally she sends Tristan, a boy in Savannah’s class, back instead to turn him into her prom-worthy prince. When Savannah returns to the Middle Ages to save Tristan, they must team up to defeat a troll, a dragon, and the mysterious and undeniably sexy Black Knight. Laughs abound in this clever fairy tale twist from a master of romantic comedy.

Charlotte of Charlotte's Library has already reviewed it and says "This is a great romp through the cliches, pitfalls, bitter realities and ultimate romantic triumphs of fairy tale land. I'd give this one to anyone who loved Gail Carson Levine's Ella Enchanted, or Sarah Beth Durst's Into the Wild."

Author Janette Rallison also has JUST ONE WISH coming out in March 2009 from Putnam and that one is in my TBR pile. I can only hope MY FAIR GODMOTHER will soon join it!

17 comments:

Alea said...

Totally cute cover!

Lenore Appelhans said...

I know right? I have such a thing for pink hair!

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I love the pink hair (I wish I could have pink hair all the time!) I'm adding this one and Just One Wish to my current wish list. I love fairy tale books and when mixed with time travel, I'm sure I will love this one!

Anonymous said...

It's such a cute story and a cute cover too.

Charlotte said...

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Lenore Appelhans said...

green - pink hair all the time would be cool!

violet - very cute.

charlotte - I hope so too. thanks for the review :)

Alea said...

You know, come to think of it, I had a friend that had large hot pink highlights! They were even awesomer when they faded a bit to a more reddish color!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Pink goes better with blondes I guess - since I have darker hair, I have to go for purple.

But I remember dying all my dolls' hair pink (though their clothes were NOT allowed to be pink - that was too girly).

Alea said...

She had dark hair at the time so i think that's probably why they looked better when they faded to red/maroon.

I wish i was gutsy enough to do that! I pretty much stick with a black and brown for everything including my clothes haha!

Emily said...

this looks totally cute. i love it when they modify a title like that! its creative and gives you a connection
cant wait to read this!

Lenore Appelhans said...

A good title and a good cover can go a long way - of course the book needs to be good too!

Anonymous said...

Lani Taylor has enviously pink hair

Janette Rallison said...

Thanks for the mention! If you have half as much fun reading the book as I had writing it, you will totally love it. I think it's my best one ever.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Janette - Thanks for stopping by! What a great endorsement :) Now I am really looking forward to reading it. Best of luck to you.

Lana said...

This looks like so much fun! I love fractured fairy tales and not-so-great fairy godmothers (Ella Enchanted anyone?), so I'm really looking forward to reading this one, too!

Ladytink_534 said...

Oh yeah, I'm definitely putting this on my list. I have got to read it!

Liviania said...

This one sounds awesome.