Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Author Interview: Lissa Price previews Starters

For my spotlight on upcoming dystopian/post apocalyptic fiction series, I interviewed over 20 authors with novels coming out in the genre in 2012/13.  These are exclusive first looks at exciting new works.  Enjoy!



Author Lissa Price’s debut novel STARTERS comes out March 13th, 2012 from Delacorte (Random House).  Not too much is known about it as the publishers are keeping it very under wraps.  I can’t wait to find out more!

Here’s the very short teaser summary:
The first in a futuristic thriller series featuring a society where youth is coveted at an impossible price, and one girl's ability to bring it all crumbling down.

(ETA Oct 22, 2012) The cover



And the interview!

Why do you think people are drawn to "dark" stories?
Readers will always enjoy going to emotional depths vicariously through characters. Shakespeare’s tragedies are loved as much his comedies. The question is why are they so popular now, in YA fiction? I do think our world today is filled with mind-boggling natural disasters as well as horrific man-made ones. It’s especially tough to deal with these when you’re younger because you have less control over your society and yet they’re the ones who will be living in this future world the longest. The natural reaction to witnessing all this chaos is to question how to make the world a better place – or at least keep it from becoming worse. The dystopian stories are all cautionary tales – some are just more fun than others.

If STARTERS had a theme song, what would it be and why?
Haven’t found the perfect theme song yet so I’ll give you some choices: “Firework” or “Who Am I Living For?” by Katy Perry or Jonny Lang “Lie to Me,” acoustic version.

What fictional character from another book would your main character choose as her best friend and why?
Tally from Scott Westerfeld’s brilliant UGLIES series. They have several things in common, both being judged on their looks, both strong fighters, and both caught having to choose between two guys. 

What are your top 5 Dystopian lit recs and why?
THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy by Collins and THE UGLIES series most of all – those two series inspired me. I also recommend INCARCERON by Fisher, SKINNED by Wasserman, THE ADORATION OF JENNA FOX by Pearson, and WITHER by DeStefano. I know, it’s six, but I could easily go on and name many more wonderful books – I’m mad for this genre.

What's on the top of your to-do list before the world ends? (you know, in case it ends next year)
Love this question. After seeing the release of my debut book STARTERS, it would be to see the film version of THE HUNGER GAMES.  Can’t wait.

How does your novel stand out from other dystopian/post apocalyptic fiction out there?
There are so many terrific books in this arena, I love reading them all. Mine has more of a science fiction premise, and I let it take off with fast thriller pacing. I like stories that move with twists and turns, but also present a new idea that compels the reader to ask -- what would I do in that situation?

Thank you Lissa!

Follow Lissa on Twitter @Lissa_Price
Add STARTERS to your GoodReads wishlist

10 comments:

Hermana Tiffany Garner said...

Wish there was more information on the book! I'll be looking forward to it.

By the way, just picked up DIVERGENT. So far so good. I'll let you know what I think!

P.E. said...

Great answers! Starters sounds really interesting, I can't wait to learn more about it and see the cover. :)

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Sounds intriguing and very mysterious. I hope more info is forthcoming!

Zibilee said...

Lissa's explanations for why we like darker stories is almost exactly what I think. I am intrigued by the premise of Starters, and can't wait to hear more about it!

Kristen Kittscher said...

I'm very excited about STARTERS, especially after hearing these tantalizing tidbits. So glad we could spend time together at SCBWI, Lissa!

I have a theory about dark stories that differs, though. I once studied German film from 1933 - 45 in a history class, expecting to find disturbing propaganda and bleak films. While there was propaganda, of course, the vast majority of films were light, escapist entertainment. Perhaps hard times increases the hunger for lightness? We are certainly living in difficult time, but I'm oddly reassured that people seek out darker stories.

John Dixon said...

Great interview, Lissa.

The premise of STARTERS is fantastic, and that, paired with thriller pacing, all but guarantees a gripping read. I'm heading into the basement to tinker on a homemade time machine... I need this book NOW!

Michelle said...

Interesting that RH is keeping it so hush hush. Wonder why :)

Derek J Rogers said...

I can't wait to read Starters! The interview with Lissa Price has me very intrigued....

Lynsey Newton said...

Oh I think this was the book being talked about at Random House UK recently. DEFINITELY on my wish list!

Lauren said...

The short teaser just makes me want this book even more.