Saturday, August 13, 2011

Book Review: Veracity by Laura Bynum


Harper Adams has served The Confederate of the Willing, formed in the wake of a worldwide pandemic, with her special sentient abilities since high school.  She is tasked with reviewing cases of people caught speaking red listed words by their implanted slates – where the punishment could be death.  When her daughter’s name is red-listed, Harper feels a growing dissatisfaction with the totalitarian regime and is ripe for the picking for the resistance, a group guided by the fabled “Book of Noah”.

VERACITY is full-on dystopia with a government that provides security for its citizens by curtailing free speech.  Bynum so excels at world building and fleshing out her future society with plausible details, that I had no trouble at all imagining the horrors of it.

Harper can see colors of emotion, so she knows when people are sick, when they’re lying, and she can recognize people through walls or even from miles away.  The narrative jumps around through time and I most enjoyed the scenes from Harper’s youth, from her job and from her recruitment into the resistance.  I also thought the scenes where she breaks her slate in the “wastelands” were tense and harrowing.

What didn’t work as well for me were the scenes in the underground bunker of the resistance and the final showdown (so, essentially the last part of the book). The resistance leaders held long monologues about the importance of free speech that came off as too preachy at times.  And the climax was both sloppy (how did a spy evade Harper’s abilities all that time?) and glossed over.

But overall, this is a thoughtful novel with some truly powerful images and a couple of satisfyingly shocking reveals. 

Zombie Chickens say: Well worth reading, especially for dystopia fans.

VERACITY is available in paperback now.  Find out more about it at the author’s website.

Song for the Ultimate Dystopian Playlist: Preparedness by The Bird and the Bee. Sample lyric: “Are you prepared to disagree? Are you prepared, are you prepared for me?”

8 comments:

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Wow, sounds like some seriously old school (Wells, Orwell, Swift, Bradbury) style Dystopia.Sorry the ending didn't really work though it sounds like the prep work is worth it. ;O)

Beth S. said...

I was thinking the same thing as Pam. This is going back to the original dystopias, but with a modern twist. Sounds like an awesome read!

bermudaonion said...

Sounds interesting. Quite a few governments have curtailed free speech, but it didn't create a dystopia for their citizens.

Zibilee said...

I like the fact that the world building was so strong, but the fact that the last half of the book sort of fizzles is a little disappointing to me. I agree that this one sounds a little different than most of the other dystopians out there right now.

Emily said...

I LOVED this book when I read it the first time around but reading your review definitely calls to mind some facets of the story I'd forgotten. It'd be interesting to see how this book fared under a second reading.

Michelle said...

I'm glad you mostly enjoyed this one!

Lauren said...

You know how much I've been wanting to read this one, Lenore! :) I'm hoping my library will order it soon. Thanks for the review.

Evie said...

This book sounds great. Now I'm looking forward for this one.