Friday, August 12, 2011

Book Review: The Pledge by Kimberly Derting


In the violent country of Ludania, where merely looking at someone who speaks a different language than you can condemn you to the gallows, Charlie lives in fear of her neighbors discovering her unique ability to understand all languages.  When she meets a boy who speaks a language she has never heard before, Charlie is swept up into centuries old intrigue and a forbidden romance.

The prologue, featuring the most evil queen this side of Snow White, sets up the creepy atmosphere of Derting’s dystopian world perfectly.  Though it does telegraph the climax of the novel, Derting manages to infuse so much tension into her scenes because we come to care deeply about Charlie, her mute sister, her parents, and her friends.

As someone with a fascination for languages, I envied Charlie’s power and I loved her journey to discover her roots and the true meaning of her skills.  I have to admit though that I expected more swoon – the chemistry between Charlie and Max was fine, but nothing as sizzling as what went on in THE BODY FINDER, Derting's debut.

But WHOA – way to nail the ending in a way that gives closure but also has me wildly anticipating a sequel.

Zombie Chickens say: Gave us horror movie flashbacks, but highly recommended.



THE PLEDGE releases on November 15, 2011. Find out more about it at the author’s website.

Song for the Ultimate Dystopian Playlist:  Don’t Lose Yourself by Laura Veirs. Sample lyric: "I felt my vocal chords weakening, I felt my concave thoughts.” And “Don’t let yourself be lost.”

17 comments:

Leanna Elle said...

Kimberly Derting's Body Finder series is one of my all time faves. I can't wait to read this one!

Jules said...

I keep hearing great things about this book and this author in general.

I'm going to miss the Zombie Chickens when they go :D

bermudaonion said...

I envy Charlie's ability too! This sounds interesting.

Jill the OWL said...

I'm sooo jealous you have a copy!!!! This sounds really good.

P.E. said...

The concept sounds so interesting and it's by Kimberly Derting which translates into a must read for me. I'm glad you liked it! I can't wait for this book.

Liviania said...

Not a big dystopian reader, but this one sounds totally awesome to me.

I am getting super tired of first books in series that offer no closure, so that may be part of the attraction.

Zibilee said...

I have never come across a dystopian that seems ti use language in this way, and like you, it's a subject that I am really interested in. This book sounds like a really great choice, and like something that I need to check out. How neat it would be to understand all languages!

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh MAN! I looove words and languages so this concept looks incredible. Neat stuff.

Allison said...

I figured I'd end up in the minority on this one! glad to see you enjoyed it more than I did :)

Amy L. Campbell said...

Looks good! I'll have to check it out.

Emily @ Brave New Shelf said...

Language is a topic that I've yet to see in a dystopian novel, and I have to admit that I'm excited for it!

Michelle said...

I'm not sure why I'm on the fence with this one. It's getting great buzz, and obviously at 4 zombie chickens it's got to be a great read, but man....it's just not grabbing me.

Lynsey Newton said...

LOVED THIS BOOK and have pre ordered a final copy :D Already desperate to read the sequel LOL

Lauren said...

I'm just going to say one thing. I AM DYING TO READ THIS. Hahaha.

Evie said...

This one is on my wishlist already. And I love that cover!

Tara Parsell said...

I love this book...absolutely love it. :)

Netherland said...

The Pledge combines the best aspects of future dystopian societies and presents it in almost a fantastical way. This future society has very distinct classes that must adhere to certain rules, including only understanding Englaise and the language of their class. Derting¿s world-building is excellent, if not very detailed. The first half of the book is quite information heavy and drags a bit, but once you hit the halfway mark, it takes off.