Monday, August 1, 2011

Dystopian August 2011 Kick-off

It's here: the 4th in a row of dystopian theme months that began in Feb 2010 to spotlight dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction.  If you plan to participate with me this month, grab the Dystopian August button from my sidebar and put it on your blog, linking to this kick-off post.

Now I'm pretty inclusive in my definition of dystopia/post-apocalyptic lit, so you'll find a wide range of books, including some occasional books with very limited dystopias.  Thanks to the explosion in popularity of the genre, publishers often market books as dystopias which really aren't - in which case I will alert you to that fact in my review.

UPDATE:
Click for a recap of week one!
Click for a recap of week two!
Click for a recap of week three!
Click for a recap of week four!
Click for a recap of week five + final wrap-up.

So what's in store this month?

Reviews of over 20 dystopian novels, past, present and future. (Refer to my index of dystopian reviews for latest updates and past reads)  Every Thursday, I'll do an in-depth joint review of a book with Michelle from Galleysmith.  NOTE: In a policy change, I will only be giving Zombie Chicken Ratings of 4 and 5 this month.  Read why here: What's up with the Zombie Chickens?


Interviews with over 25 authors releasing a dystopian in 2012 which give you an exclusive preview of these upcoming books.  Each author answered the same six questions and shared a song that we'll add to the Ultimate Dystopian Playlist I will premiere at the end of the month.  I'll also answer my own interview questions about my forthcoming book LEVEL TWO.


Plus - book giveaways, lists of dystopian resources, guest posts and weekend round-up posts to catch you up on anything you might have missed.


Speaking of giveaways, Simon & Schuster US has generously donated two  prize packs of dystopian YA books. All you have to do to enter to win is read and review at least one dystopian or post-apocalyptic novel during the month of August and then link to your review via a google form below (if you review it on your blog) or via the comments (if you review it on a review site such as GoodReads because you don't have a blog). Challenge and contest is open worldwide, so get reading!


Here are the books you could win:




Blood Red Road by Moira Young (hardcover) (add on GoodReads)
The Pledge by Kimberly Derting (ARC) (add on GoodReads)
Wither by Lauren DeStefano (*signed* hardcover) (add on GoodReads) (read my review)
Fever by Lauren DeStefano (ARC) (add on GoodReads)
Possession by Elana Johnson (hardcover) (add on GoodReads)
The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann (ARC) (add on GoodReads)


+ special non-dystopian bonus: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin (ARC) (add on GoodReads)


The above link takes you to a google form.

The above link takes you to a google spreadsheet.


With all this content this month, I'll be posting twice a day, once at midnight (Central European Time) and once at noon (CET).  If you don't want to miss anything, consider following my blog or subscribing via a feedreader.  Thanks!  I hope you enjoy this month as much as I am enjoying putting it together!


Tweet me! The official twitter hashtag is:  #dystopianaugust  Let's talk dystopian :)

35 comments:

Alyce said...

Yay! I've got three dystopian books already read that I just need to review. I wish I could say I had planned it that way, but I'm not that organized. It was just good timing. :)

Bekka said...

So excited! This couldn't have come at a better time. I just got this HUGE craving for anything Dystopia, so I checked out like 8 books from the library with this theme. =)

Liviania said...

I'm looking forward to it! I'm not a big dystopian fan, but your theme months always point me to the ones I should read.

no said...

So excited for this, I really need to catch up on some of my dystopian reads!

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh very fun! Finding good dystopian ins't all that hard, now which one to choose to link up...;O)

Emy Shin said...

I'm so excited for this! Can't wait to read all the reviews. :)

bermudaonion said...

I'm excited about this since I just read a middle grade dystopia and really liked it. There's hope for me and dystopia yet.

FICTION STATE OF MIND said...

soounds great! I have some boks that fit that ive really been wanting to read :)

Unknown said...

I love dystopians, i can't wait to see some more books i haven't read!

Rachel said...

Oooh, sounds like so much fun!!!

Meghan said...

Looks like an exciting month! I have been looking for some new dystopias. :)

Zibilee said...

So super excited that Dystopian August is here! Looking forward to following along!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Oh I'm so excited! Gotta find me a dystopian book to read :) Looking forward to more (especially the upcoming books, yours included)

prettybooks said...

Exciting! :)

Charlotte said...

So exciting! Thanks, Lenore!

Lauren said...

You know how excited I am about Dystopian August! I have been waiting for this since the last one! :) Thanks so much, Lenore for hosting this event!

Emily @ Brave New Shelf said...

I'm such a fan of the genre, but this is still my first month doing Dystopian August. I'm so excited!

Michelle said...

One of my two favorite months a year!! Go dystopia :)

Hermana Tiffany Garner said...

This is awesome! I'm looking forward to it! Haven't read as much dystopian as I'd like to.

Stephanie said...

Here is a link to my review of Wither on goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/147590830

Unknown said...

A chance to discover and read more Dystopian!!! Can't wait! : )

Mickey said...

Here's a link to my review of Mockingjay: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/181971216

Mickey @ imabookshark

Stephanie said...

You said that we could enter the drawing for the set of books by linking our review on goodreads in the comments...so did I do that right? Since I am the only one who has done that I just want to make sure that is right and I am entered in to the drawing.

Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...

Just finished the Hunger Games trilogy. What can I say other than awesome!

Stephanie said...

Here is the link to my review of The Adoration of Jenna Fox on goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/151419798

Stephanie said...

Here is a link to my review of The Giver on goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/201092301

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Ok, finally got my review for Possession up!

I think I'm off to find another choice to bang out before the end of the month as I was a bit underwhelmed...


http://iwriteinbooks.wordpress.com/2011/08/27/possession-elana-johnson/

Vampyre Gurls Book Club Blog said...

Very cool contest..I posted a link to a review I did for EVE..
New follower..
http://vampyregurlsbookclub.blogspot.com/2011/08/eve-by-anna-carey-review.html

candice (thecrjreviews) said...

Here is my review of Glow by Amy Ryan.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/195001014

candice (thecrjreviews) said...

My review for This World We Live In (Last Survivors, #3)
by Susan Beth Pfeffer.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/192429954

candice (thecrjreviews) said...

My review for Possession by Elena Johnson.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/154904990

candice (thecrjreviews) said...

Here is my review for Blood Red Road

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/204297345

Erica said...

I read Legend in August, but since its not out yet I only posted my review on Goodreads. so here is the link :)

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/194976824

Vivien said...

Here's my review of Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/190704383

Vivien
deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

Vivien said...

Here's my review for All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/154690971

Vivien
deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com