Friday, August 5, 2011

Book Review: Tomorrow Girls - Behind the Gates by Eva Gray


War and natural disasters overshadow the US of 2020 and 13 year old Louisa’s parents decide to send her and her best friend Maddie to an expensive boarding school for their safety.  Louisa loves the survival skills she learns at CMS, but one of her new roommates is suspicious of the school’s leaders, especially when they effectively cut off the students from the outside world.  Does the school really have their best interests at heart?

BEHIND THE GATES makes an excellent dystopian "gateway" book for younger readers, though it may well be too simplistic for seasoned fans of the genre. We never find out much about the world of 2020, and the girls conversations tend to be fairly basic and full! of! exclamation! marks!

While it’s clear that something’s off about the school, there’s nothing really that creepy about it until the cool plot twist at the end when we finally find out the nefarious truth.  I’m definitely looking forward to the next books in the series.

Zombie chickens say: If they take all your electronics away, you know something fishy is going on ...

Book 1 BEHIND THE GATES – available in paperback now
Book 2 RUN FOR COVER – available in paperback now
Book 3 WITH THE ENEMY – available Sept 1, 2011
Book 4  SET ME FREE – available Nov 1, 2011



Find out more about the series at the publisher's website.

Song for the Ultimate Dystopian Playlist: The Lakes of Canada by The Innocence Mission. Sample lyric: "My little mouth, my winter lungs. Don't tell what cannot be done."

10 comments:

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh what fun! I haven't read these but I've heard good things.

Hermana Tiffany Garner said...

Like you said, sounds like a great way to get young readers exposed to the dystopian market. I'll definitely recommend these to my little sister :)

Zibilee said...

I am seeing a lot more dystopians aimed at middle grade readers, which I think is pretty cool. It might not be for me, but I am glad it's out there!

bermudaonion said...

Well, I'm not sure what it says about me, but I loved this one and went out and bought Run For Cover as soon as I finished it.

Rebecca Herman said...

I read this book and the 2nd in the series and agree. They are a good intro to dystopian for younger readers. I would have liked more background about the war, but they were fun quick reads and I will read the last 2 when they are published to see how the story ends.

Michelle said...

But! Its! Realistic! To! Speak! That! Way! At! That! Age!

lol

I liked this one but agree, it's definitely one for the younger reader who is just starting out in the genre.

Anonymous said...

this book is amazing i am doing a book blog for this book and i am reading the whole series after this book i really thought that i think it would be dunn to go to country manor but the only thing that i couldent do is leave my parents i love them to death! well that is what i have to say and if you havent read this book befor i toatally recomended it! well see ya later

Anonymous said...

I love these books and as soon as I pick one up I can't put it down they are amazing

sophie said...

Hi, like you said these are great books I have read all 4 in the series and they are a great read!
I like your blog!

Unknown said...

Im on the second book in the series they are good books