Thursday, April 9, 2009

Book Review: Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender

Alexis’ life has always been pretty dysfunctional. She has no real friends, gets in trouble at school, keeps her parents at arm’s reach, and has a younger sister with a very unhealthy doll obsession. When strange things start happening at home, it doesn’t take long for Alexis to suspect that her house is haunted and her sister is possessed.

I have to give this novel serious props for pulling off a tone that is hilariously snarky and yet still so tantalizingly creepy. I didn’t have to turn my nightlight on to sleep or anything, but I did have goose bumps on several occasions.

Alexis starts out as just another of these tough, sarcastic, independent minded teens that have pervaded pop culture in recent years, but she develops so much through the narrative that I really had no idea what she would do next. It’s the same with most of the supporting characters – they are introduced as stereotypes and then defy all expectations.

This is such a fun, wild ride that I was able to forgive the slightly cheesy ending. Anyone see Skeleton Key with Kate Hudson? Now there’s an awesome ending to a possession story (though I did have my nightlight on for weeks after seeing that one - so beware).

Bad Girls Don’t Die comes out in hardcover on April 21st.

32 comments:

Yan said...

I must posses a copy in HB when it comes out :D

Melissa said...

I have Skeleton Key waiting in my TIVO for me.

Steph Su said...

Oooh you make this book sound really good, and it's up next for me. I can't wait!

Diana Dang said...

The cover made me thought it was a boring book but I think I may look into it after all!

kalea_kane said...

I am dying for this book. I am so glad that it is coming out soon! I have been waiting since I read my first review months ago! YAY!

Carrie said...

I'm really looking forward to this one. It looks great and thanks for the review!!

Anonymous said...

I really have to read this one. Thanks for the great review!

Jen said...

I think the cover is beautiful (in a slightly creepy way though), it sounds really good!

Great review <3

Amy said...

Skeleton Key totally freaked me out!

Katie Alender said...

Lenore, thank you so much for reviewing Bad Girls! I love what you've said about the characters.

Staci said...

I loved Skeleton Key so I'm all over this book!!!

Mari said...

I feel the need for a good creepy book!

Khy said...

I've been hearing nothing but good things about this one. Can't wait for it! :D

Christina Farley said...

Oh! Sounds like a great creepy story to read on a cold winter night.

Marie said...

I really want to read this one and Skeleton Key was a really fun movie!

Shalonda said...

I'm so excited to read this one!

Should be here soon!

BTW: Splash Award for you on my blog!

Kristi said...

I so want to read this one!!!

Amber said...

Thanks for giving me this one when you were done reading it :) I really enjoyed the story! It was definitely spooky, but I loved how the characters really did defy my expectations. Especially Megan.

Darlene said...

This sounds good. I love that cover!

Ladytink_534 said...

Skeleton Key REALLY freaked me out so I hated it lol. This does sound like a good story though and the cover is interesting too.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Great review! I really want to read this book and I agree Skeleton Key had a great ending :)

-.- said...

This sounds really good. I'll have to add it to my wish list. Great review Lenore!

~ Popin

S. Krishna said...

Ooh, I REALLY want to read this one. Thanks for the review.

Sadako said...

Looks so awesome...love the cover!!

Zibilee said...

This one sounds really good. I love it when characters show obvious growth within their stories. I will have t keep my eye out fr this one.

Anna said...

Snarky and creepy at the same time...sounds like a great read. I remember the Skeleton Key movie. I wasn't expecting the end.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Rabid Fox said...

I've read a couple of positive reviews for this book. It sounds like it's got promise. And, it has just the right amount of "creep" by the sounds of it. It's on my wish list now. :)

#extra entry

rabidfox(at)ymail.com
http://waggingthefox.blogspot.com/

The Book Girl said...

I love the type of book that creeps you out just enough to make you feel something, but doesn't terrify you :-p This one sounds really interesting! Not to mention, the characters who defy expectations are always the best ones <3. Thanks for the review!

Book Sp(l)ot said...

I did see Skeleton Key... and snarky and creepy? Now I want to read this even more than I did after seeing some other reviews of it.... I hope I'm okay with the ending, though :)

Now I want to see that movie again...Which by the way I wish was a book. I'm going to ahve to reserve this at my library.

#extra entry

Kaylyn said...

This book was freaky. The chick was possessed, literally. Duh. BUt still the happy ending was good at least [:

#extra entry

Unknown said...

It's a really gooodd boook I loved it <33

Natalia euro said...

im not done reading it but i love it! :) <3