Sunday, April 19, 2009

What I bought for....an 11 year old girl

In response to the discussion generated by my Authors Requesting Reviews post recently, I've decided to spotlight books I buy, whether they are for me, or as gifts. I want you to know what great books I'm spending my money on! This will be a semi-regular feature, showing up whenever I have something new to report. Feel free to do the same on your blog.

First up, books I bought for Eleanor for her 11th birthday this month. Eleanor did a guest review of PJ Hoover's The Emerald Tablet for me and she is a big fantasy fan.

Fortune's Folly by Deva Fagan

This just came out this month and though I haven't read it yet, I think it sounds like a lot of fun!

Here's the summary:

Ever since her mother died and her father lost his shoemaking skills, Fortunata has survived by telling fake fortunes. But when she’s tricked into telling a grand fortune for a prince, she is faced with the impossible task of fulfilling her wild prophecy—or her father will be put to death. Now Fortunata has to help Prince Leonato secure a magic sword, vanquish a wicked witch, discover a long-lost golden shoe, and rescue the princess who fits it. If only she hadn’t fallen in love with the prince herself!


I also bought her:

20 comments:

Alea said...

Aww you are so sweet! What a thoughtful gift!

Nancy said...

That is a wonderful gift Lenore. I am constanly purchasing items for my godchild who is 14 and she loves it all.

btw...as per your request I have images of my Fairy Tale Swag..

http://lushbudgetproduction.blogspot.com/2009/04/in-my-mailbox-41909.html

Linda said...

I love that you give the gift of reading!

Doret said...

Fake fortunes, that does sound like fun. Rules is a great book

PJ Hoover said...

I've been eyeing Fortune's Folly. I'm thinking I'll have to pick it up. It does look perfect.
And I love the idea of people highlighting what they buy as gifts. I've added Life of Pi to my list (for adults) :)

And I've immortalized Eleanor's review by showing her quote "This is FREAKING awesome" in my author visits presentation :) So please thank her (and of course you) again!

Yvonne said...

What a great idea for a gift!

Keri Mikulski said...

Great gifts. :)

Beth Kephart said...

This is so sweet!

(: Isa :) said...

Thats totally awesome! I also really liked Millicent Min! One of my favorites.

Elizabeth said...

Wow, that is one lucky 11-year-old.

Lenore Appelhans said...

PJ - Eleanor will be so excited when I tell her. She thought her review would be printed on the finished book :)

Unknown said...

What a great idea for a feature and great gifts! Any 11 year old with historical books on her wishlist is pretty awesome.

Cindy B said...

Aaaaaah! More to add to the TBR list!

Jen said...

Aw, thats so sweet ^_^

Charlotte said...

I hope your daughter loves the book!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Charlotte - She's my friend's daughter, but thanks!

H said...

My brothers like the Redwall series. Whenever they go to a semi-ruined abbey or castle for a picnic, sooner or later they are running around, attacking and defending and shouting Eulalia!!! We pretend we don't know them!

Darlene said...

What an awesome gift! I bet she loves it!

Ladytink_534 said...

Lucky girl! Fortune's Folly sounds like a good story! Fairy tale's new and old are always winners with me :) I sure hope she enjoys all of those wonderful sounding books!

Anna said...

That's a great gift. I bet my daughter would love that book. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric