Friday, January 2, 2009

2008 in Review: Movies

I generally don't blog about movies, but I like year end lists. Since I haven't seen many of the presumptive 2008 Oscar nominees yet, I feel it's premature to make a "best of" list, so I'll just list the 2008 movies I saw.
Most years I usually end up seeing a majority of the top 10 grossing movies, but this year I only saw 4:

The Dark Knight
Iron Man
Hancock (on the plane yesterday)
Quantum of Solace

And here are the rest of 2008 movies I saw (listed in order of gross according to Box Office Mojo):

Mamma Mia! (Plane)
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (DVD)
Wanted
Tropic Thunder
Bolt
Step Brothers (DVD)
Pineapple Express (Plane)
21 (Plane)
Jumper (Plane)
Burn After Reading
Definitely, Maybe (Plane)
The Other Boleyn Girl (Plane)
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
The X-Files: I Want to Believe
Be Kind, Rewind
Smart People (Plane)
Transsiberian (Plane)
Let’s Make Money
Let the Right One In a.k.a. "Swedish vampire movie"

That’s only 12 movies in the theater (not including 2007 holdovers like No Country for Old Men, Sweeny Todd, There Will be Blood, and Juno that I saw in this year). Of those, probably The Dark Knight and Let the Right One In were my favorites. The X-Files Movie was the biggest disapointment.

I am looking forward to seeing Revolutionary Road, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and The Reader (though I'd like to read the book first on this one).


How was your year in movies?

9 comments:

Alea said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the exact same movies as you!

And also Hancock, Pineapple Express, and Vicky Cristina Barcelona on dvd!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Hancock wasn't that great I thought. But Pineapple Express was very funny and I enjoyed Vicky Cristina Barcelona (although the narration started to grate on my nerves).

Alea said...

I keep hearing that about Hancock, I'm excited to see Jason Batemen though! I was kind of thinking Pineapple Express might be dumb and annoying so I'm glad you didn't say it was!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Ha - I also only saw Hancock because of Jason Batemen. He wasn't in it enough to really make it worth it though. Pineapple Express IS dumb, but if your expectations are low, it is a fun time.

Steve said...

Ha, you've seen more new movies than I have! Although, those long plane rides do help! :)

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

'Let the Right One In' looks awesome! I've only seen 3 Swedish movies (Sleepwalker, I Am Curious Blue & Yellow) and a handful of Swede shorts. It seems like Denmark steals all the movies makers from the rest of Scandinavia :)

I haven't gone to very many movies this year, partly because I like sitting in my pj's on my cozy sofa and also because I tend to watch much more indie/foreign films than mainstream.

Literary Feline said...

For the last two years I have tried to keep track of the movies I've seen, but I am so bad about it. Books are an entirely different story. I don't know why that is. I will strive to do better this year so I can make a list like yours at the end of the year. I did make a top five list from the movies I did manage to see (and remember).

Liv said...

I'm debating whether to go see Let The Right One In at the $2 theater a few blocks from me. It looks really good but it's playing at 11 pm and it looks a little freaky! I'll definitely see it when it comes out on dvd though.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Liv, it looks a lot more spooky than it really is. It's more of a drama really.