Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Waiting On Wednesday (17) Hot YA Book Sequels of 2009

What is the one sequel I am looking forward to more than any other this year? That would be the Hunger Games sequel which we currently know nothing about beyond its September release date. Rumors are floating around that it will be called Catching Fire or Chasing Fire, but Scholastic isn’t talking at this time. So we’ll just have to wait patiently and focus on other sequels for the time being.

Book 2 in Phillip Ness’ Chaos Walking series is set for May. I liked everything about book 1 The Knife of Never Letting Go except the brutal letdown of the cliffhanger ending (read my review), so I am eagerly awaiting The Ask and the Answer.

This is the cover for Australia and New Zealand (the only one online right now). Here's a short teaser:

Tense, shocking and deeply moving, "The Ask and the Answer" is a terrifying novel of resistance under the most extreme pressure.


The second book in PJ Bracegirdle’s Joy of Spooking trilogy is also due this summer. According to the official website, book 2 will have us

discovering the sinister history hidden behind the spiked-lined walls of the mental asylum and descending into the dark underworld below Spooking's streets.”

No cover art yet – but I wonder if Nicoletta Ceccoli is doing it again. (Here's my review of Book 1).

Goodess Boot Camp, the sequel to Oh.My.Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs is due in June. It’s described as

another fast-paced myth-inspired heroine’s quest that’s sure to bring out the goddess in anyone.”

I liked Oh.My.Gods. (here's my review) and hopefully this sequel will improve on it.

And then there are the series where I own book 1 and have been waiting for book 2 so I can read them together:


Wake by Lisa McMann. Fade* comes out in February.
Evernight by Claudia Gray. Stargazer comes out in March.
The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong. The Awakening comes out in April.
Generation Dead by Daniel Waters. Kiss of Life* comes out in May.
Skin Hunger by Kathleen Duey. Sacred Scars comes out in August.
Skinned by Robin Wasserman. Crashed comes out in September.
*Technically shouldn't be on this list because I actually have them already, but whatever...

What sequels (YA or otherwise) coming out this year are you most excited about?

24 comments:

Beth Kephart said...

Man, you are SO on top of things. How do you find this stuff out?

Lenore Appelhans said...

I'm addicted to google ;)

Genevieve said...

I really can't wait for FADE! Gah, just a few weeks away but it seems longer!

Alea said...

I love this! I always love seeing the covers from different books in the same series to see how they are the same but also different. I have a few of those bottom ones too and haven't read them either :)

Diana Dang said...

I definitely can't wait for Crashed!

Thao said...

I've not read the first books of these but Fade and Kiss of life caught my attention. Really impressive covers ^^

Janssen said...

I am DYING to read the sequel to the Hunger Games.

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I can't wait to read the sequel to Hunger Games too! I wish we could find out more about it.
-Sarah

Ana said...

Can't wait for City of Glass (sequel to City of Bones and City of Ashes)!

Tabitha said...

I'm with you on the Hunger Games sequel. What a riveting book! :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I need to read like all of those books....well, I mean the first one so that I can be as excited about the second one. LOL I'm so behind on my reading!!

However, FADE. OMG! I'm freaking out for that. It's so closeeee.

-Lauren

allisonmariecat said...

Ooh, I've been wondering when the next Joy of Spooking would be out! I went on a pre-ordering spree at amazon for the last Percy Jackson book, the next Fablehaven, the next Sisters Grimm, and the next 39 Clues. I checked for Joy of Spooking, but it wasn't up yet :)

And it's not a sequel, but Jasper Fforde has a book coming out this summer!

Ali said...

I've decided not to read Hunger Games until the sequel is almost out, but that's the only one I can think of.

Angela said...

Sequels that I'm waiting for this year?? Too many! The ones I can think of right off the top of my head are:

ENVY by Anna Godberson
STARGAZER by Claudia Gray
GONE 2 (don't know the title) by Michael Grant
BLOOD PROMISE by Richelle Meade
HUNGER GAMES 2 (don't know the title) by Suzanne Collins

Marie Cloutier said...

I'm looking forward to more books in my favorite manga series- Nana- which should be out soon!

Anonymous said...

Definitely looking forward to the Hunger Games sequel!

I'm very glad to have found your site. Looks great! :)

Ladytink_534 said...

I don't think there are any sequels coming out this year I want to read but there are quite a few coming out that are part of a series. Can't wait!!!

Steph Su said...

I am DYING for the Hunger Games sequel to come out. I gobbled the book up and was so upset when it ended. A friend of mine borrowed my copy and then pointed out the "End of Book One" sentence on the last page. I nearly hit myself for panicking, for thinking that there wouldn't be a sequel (there HAD to be!).

Nice blog, btw!

Doret said...

The second Airhead book by Meg Cabot.
The follow-up to N.D Wilson's 100 Cupboards
Thought I heard Lockhart's releasing anothor book in the Boyfriend List series. I know its not a sequel but still looking forward to it.
And of course Hunger Games

Christina Farley said...

Great list! I'll have to check out Oh.My.Gods. I haven't read that one yet.

Doret said...

I need to add one more.
The sequel to Magic Thief by Sarah Prineas.
Can't believe I forgot it. Loved the first one

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Well considering half of my YA wishlist was built from your reviews, there's not much I can add to your waiting for list (lol)

The only thing I can think of is the next Melissa Marr book 'Fragile Eternity'

Bookworm said...

Goddess Boot Camp, definitely! And Alexa Young's Faketastic...which I got in the mail, yippee!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait forKiss of Life too. I loved Generation Dead and have been on tenterhooks ever since July!