Monday, January 19, 2009

Book Review: My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison

The only sub-genre I look forward to as much as dystopia is fairy-tale retellings. And the premise for this one got me so excited, it ended up as my WoW pick number 7. I really wanted something lighthearted and fun after the heavier books I’ve been reading lately and this charming and hilarious novel proved to be exactly what I needed.

It all begins when mediocre fairy godmother student Chrissy Everstar has to do an extra credit project and is put on the case of 15 year old Savannah who is inconsolable after sister Jane steals her hot prom date Hunter. When Chrissy shows up in a dazzle of bright lights and asks her to name her heart’s desire, Savannah can’t help wishing her life was like a fairytale with a handsome prince at the end. Unfortunately, when your fairy godmother is just a “fair” student, such a vague wish can only mean trouble and Savannah soon finds herself trapped in the Middle Ages, doomed to live out the early, dreary chapters of first Cinderella’s and then Snow White’s story. Her third wish sends classmate Tristan back to the middle ages until he can become a prince, and Savannah is determined to find a way to help him, even if it means going back to eating peas porridge in the pot, nine days old.

I loved Savannah’s character arc and her development from terminally clueless to pretty damn resourceful. Her wry observations on everything from wetsuits vs bikinis to hygiene in the middle ages had my face aching from smiling so much.

I also couldn’t help falling for Tristan. He certainly took his being sent to the Middle Ages in stride. I think it was the following passage that solidified it for me:

“I only kept from starving to death by becoming a jongleur.” He must have seen the blank expression on my face because he added, “That’s a storyteller. I had plenty of stories.” Here he gave me a crooked smile. “And mom always told me that watching TV was a waste of time. I tell you what, the people here are big Battlestar Galactica fans.” (p. 125)

Savannah and Tristan have some exciting adventures involving ogres, a variety of enchantments and scheming royals and Savannah learns that magic and wishes are nothing to be taken lightly. As Chrissy tells her:

“Did you think wishes were like kittens, that all they were going to do was purr and cuddle with you?” She shook her head benevolently. “Those type of wishes have no power. The only wishes that will ever change you are the kind that may, at any moment, eat you whole. But in the end, they are the only wishes that matter.” (p. 234)

Author Janette Rallison’s effortless style and creativity really impressed me and I’m looking forward to reading her other books including the upcoming Just One Wish (March 2009).

This one has earned a place on my keeper shelf. My Fair Godmother is available in hardcover now.

21 comments:

Janssen said...

Off to find a copy of this one - it sounds great! I also love both dystopian novels and fantasy/fairy tales. Two of my faves!

Alea said...

Aww this does sound cute!

Simply_Megan said...

I really want to read this book!

Anonymous said...

That looks like a great book for this blah time of the year.

BookChic said...

I have this in my TBR pile and I'm looking forward to getting to it. :) Great review!

nadine said...

I have a copy of this and am even more excited about reading it.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Oooh this does sound really really good. I didn't really know what it was about before.

-Lauren

Keri Mikulski said...

This one's on my TBR. :)

Anonymous said...

I have to add this to my TBR list. I'm going to have to quit my job and read full time.

Anonymous said...

I have to add this to my TBR list. I'm going to have to quit my job and read full time.

Adele said...

This sounds fabulous, me want. BSG fans in the Middle Ages, count me in!

Ladytink_534 said...

I really want to read this one. It's been on my list for months (and yet my library still doesn't have it)!

Janette Rallison said...

Thanks for the great review! I'm glad you liked it!

Shalonda said...

I am very excited to read this one. I own a number of her books, and I've enjoyed the ones I've read so far.

Thao said...

This is light-hearted and simply cute. Like a modern fairy tale but more fun. Thanks for the review Lenore!

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to read this book. I was attracted to the book because of the cover in the beginning, but looks like this has good reviews too. Glad you enjoyed it.

Jeanne said...

This book does sound fun. And I like stories about magic that has rules, and even dangers. There's been too little of that up until the past year or so, and then it seems to me that YA writers like Holly Black and Cassandra Clare have been at the forefront of the movement to bring the intrigue back into fairyland.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Oh this sounds like such fun, I'll be looking for this one.

Anonymous said...

I read this book!!!

It's soo good!!!!!! I diffenetly want to read it again and again and again!!

When i read it i always smile and grin... It's a good, good book! and cute!

You have to read it!

Old Folkie said...

Saw your recommendation on teh Book Smuggles site, I love the cover for that book!
It's just so cute!

UtesGirl said...

i read it, and its AWWWW-DORABLE!!!