Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Waiting On Wednesday (16) Dull Boy by Sarah Cross

When I was seven, I actually believed I could fly. Granted, it is was only in one specific spot, the carpeted staircase up to the second level of our split level house, and my flying was no doubt assisted by the bannister. But even then I knew I better keep my special skill under wraps. In Dull Boy, Sarah Cross' upcoming debut novel, budding superhero Avery has to pretend to be a "dull boy" so as not to attract any attention to his powers.

The summary from Sarah's website:

Superpowers are awesome - unless you actually have them, like Avery does. There's only so much he can pass off as "adrenaline" before people start to get suspicious. Probably it's best to lie low, so guys in white lab coats don't come to carry him away, to find out what makes his freakish body tick. Who wants to be vivisected? But flying under the radar becomes a whole lot harder when you can actually fly. It's dangerous to be different, so for now he'll pretend to be normal, unremarkable Avery - a dull boy - anything to keep his secret safe.

What he doesn't expect is the horrifying truth about where his powers came from, who else might have them, and the madness of one villain's plan to turn this superpowered dull boy into something even more powerful and amazing.

I'm intrigued! And even though I'm 99.9% sure now that I can't actually fly, I'm still super excited for this to come out on May 14.
P.S. Carrie says it's amazing and gushes about Sarah's writing in her latest post.

13 comments:

Paradox said...

This one sounds so good!!! I've been wanting to read it since I found out about it a few months ago, before the cover art was even released and a synopsis beyond the fact it was about superpowered teens was nowhere to be found.

Alea said...

Aww I liked your story and this does sound good!

Adele said...

When reading your WoW all I could think of was the scene in Twilight when Edward tried to fob the truck "incident" as adrenaline.

Sounds like fun!

Thao said...

That's cute of you Lenore. When I was young I wish I could be invisible to mess things up without being scolded. It's impossible, of course.

This book sounds interesting, and I like the cover!

Anonymous said...

This looks like one my whole family might like.

Alycia said...

Did you get your inspiration from the movie Sky High? Great summery, by the way.

Anna Claire said...

I'm not usually as into books with male protagonists, but this one looks really good! I'm off to check out this author.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

ANOTHER MAY RELEASE? So exciting. I'm planning on doing something with all things May....since it's my b-day month. I should try and include this.

I think it sounds great as well.

-lauren

Linda said...

I occasionally have dreams about flying. I'm sure I can do it!

Ali said...

I love that you thought you could fly, that's adorable. :-)

Meredith said...

I gave you an award. Go to my blog for details!

~Meredith

Liviania said...

Ooh, that sounds awesome. I love super stories.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.